Saturday, May 05, 2007

In which I ponder the knittery significance of .25 mm

My sister and I are going to start knitting "A Cardigan for Merry" by annypurls.

She chose Lagoon for her daughter G, I chose Lilac for Baby E. These colors...I can, and probably will, go into the symbolic significance at great length (BUT not tonight; I need more wine).

The pattern calls for 3mm needles. US 2s are 2.75; US 3s are 3.25. I guess I could probably get Addis right at 3mm or any other non-American-sized needle, but I'm feeling wild. How much difference can .25 mm possibly make?

(I add the last sentence to my file of famous last words, which include: "I'll never wear bell-bottoms," "I wish Jon would ask me to the prom," and "How much trouble can an infant be, really? I'm sure I'll have lots of time to take classes.")

I've decided to go with the 3s, for kicks and giggles...also because with a child's sweater I'd rather err on the side of too large than too small.

Swatching of the LOVELY cable pattern has commenced; photos to follow!

No comments: