Wednesday, August 08, 2007

In which the magic happens

Socks are magical.

I made my first pair last fall and was immediately hooked. It seems I'm not alone, judging by the number of sock-making books I've seen reviewed lately.

Cat Bordhi's Coriolis design is especially genius. (And free, even better, though I know I'm going to buy the new book as soon as possible.) The yarn is held doubled, so the result is a thick, squishy pair of warm socks.


Yarn: 2 balls of KnitPicks Memories in Geranium. (no longer available?) I used all but about 2.5 yards of the 440--pretty proud of my efficiency!
Needles: one size 5 Addi Turbo 24", one size 5 KnitPicks Options 24" (The pattern calls for sixes, but my Austermann Step pair turned out just a touch large, so I went down a needle size)
Modifications: I changed the bindoff. The pattern calls for 5 rows of seed stitch, then a normal bindoff using 4 strands of yarn--I couldn't figure out how to do that, plus didn't want to have extra ends to weave in. Instead, I did: 4 rows of seed stitch then: k2 in pattern, return these 2 to left needle, k2tog tbl (results in one st on right needle); *k1 in pattern (2 sts on right needle), sl 2 sts to left needle, k2tog tbl. Repeat from * until all sts bound off.

No comments: