Thursday, November 30, 2006

Why o why won't Blogger let me title my entries?

I've done what it asked...downloaded Firefox to work with my creaky Mac...I'm even dragging out my HTML book from last year's web design class to look at ways to modify my page. I want to be a writer online. And I want to use titles.

Ah well. maybe this is Blogger's way of saying, "You can hang on the periphery of this community, missy, but you gots to prove yourself."

Sort of like knitting. Many are the dilettantes in the knitworld. The one scarfers. The garter-stitchers. The three-hatters (as I was; let's not remember the Christmas yarmulke as Hat V1.0.) These people are to be disdained by the bloggers.

Knitting is so personally satisfying, and so should writing be. So am I joining this "community" for me, or to find others? I love reading about others' work; I love the idea that mini-essays and photo-essays can spring up at all times. That I can, as Lucille Clifton said about her poetry, hold an idea in my head all day and write it down at night when the kids are in bed. (That's why, she said, her poems were all so short.)

Why, then, do I keep convincing myself that I shouldn't or can't or won't write? I love to write. I am a published writer. I teach other people how to write.

When I wanted to knit, I bought yarn and needles.

I want to write.

No comments: