Saturday, October 06, 2007

In which I fall, reluctantly, in love

Swan Lake is blocked, and I looooooooooove her.

Much has been said on the internets about the miracle that is blocking lace. I didn't do anything special--just a soaking-through in the bathroom sink with some Suave lavender shampoo, then a rolling-up in a towel to get out most of the moisture, then a stretching-out and pinning-down with plain old sewing pins on the hide-a-bed downstairs while watching "30 Rock" (my new favorite show).

And, lo and behold: Friday morning the wrinkly, crinkly, bubbly mass had transformed--spread its wings, as it were--into a soft, fluid, drapey charcoal-gray fabric punctuated by hematite gleams.

I'm ordering Romi's swan pin. Now. I crave wearing this stole like I crave a Diet Coke during fifth period (Oy! those sophomores have ENERGY TO BURN!) I NEED to wear it.

2 comments:

Toni said...

Can't wait to see the pictures! I say, wear it to school. I think the real secret to wearing shawls is to wear them with confidence. No one else has any idea how to wear them either! :)

Sandy said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such kind words. I knit the symmetrical version of Swan Lake, exactly as Melanie wrote it in the PDF version of the pattern. I love it! :)